En kommisjon nedsatt av FN konkluderer med at Rwandas hær kan ha begått handlinger i Zaire/Kongo som konstituerer folkemord etter folkeretten. «Titusenvis er drept» og de som ble drept ble drept fordi de var hutuer, ikke for noe de hadde gjort, heter det i rapporten. Innholdet er lekket, men ikke offentliggjort foreløpig.
Rwanda reagerer sterkt på anklagene og truer med å trekke sine soldater ut av FN-operasjoner i bla. Darfur.
Tutsiene som har ledelsen i Rwanda ble utsatt for et folkemord i 1994. Rundt 800.000 ble drept i løpet av tre måneder. FN spilte en svært lite ærerik rolle under folkemordet, der som i Bosnia. FN burde derfor trå varsomt.
The report, commissioned by the U.N. high commissioner for human rights, says that «tens of thousands» of Hutu civilians were slaughtered with knives, bludgeoned with hammers and burned alive as the Rwandan army and the Allied Democratic Liberation Forces, swept across the Congo — then Zaire — leading to the toppling of dictator Mobutu Sese Seko.
The report, entitled the Mapping Exercise, documents crimes against humanity throughout the Congo between 1993 and 2003.
The final version of the report will be officially published Monday. Its most controversial parts are accusations against the Rwandan government of «systematic attacks, in particular, killings and massacres perpetrated against members of the Hutu ethnic group.»
«There is no denying that ethnic massacres were committed and that the victims were mostly Hutus from Burundi, Rwanda and Zaire,» the report states. «The joint mission’s preliminary opinion is that some of these alleged massacres could constitute acts of genocide.»
«The majority of the victims were children, women, elderly people and the sick, who posed no threat to the attacking forces,» the report says.
More than 1 million Rwandans fled to neighboring eastern Congo when the Rwandan genocide ended in 1994 — most of them Hutu, including the mastermind of the genocide.
In 1996, Rwanda invaded Congo in pursuit of the genocide orchestrators who were living amid hundreds of thousands of other refugees.
The self-stated goal of Rwanda during that time was to end the refugee crisis in eastern Congo, where genocidal fugitives were living among civilians.
But the United Nations report said that the Rwandan military did not discriminate between fugitives and refugees, nor did it discriminate by age or gender.
«The majority of the incidents reported indicate that the Hutus were targeted as such, with no discrimination between them,» the report says. «The numerous attacks against the Hutus in Zaire, who were not part of the refugees, seem to confirm that it was all Hutus, as such.»
The report says people who convinced soldiers that they were Tutsi were let go, while the Hutus were massacred.
«People who were able to persuade the aggressors that they belonged to another ethnic group were released just before the massacres,» the report says.
Col. Patrick Karegeya, who was a senior member of the Rwandan army and key actor in the wars in the Congo, before fleeing to South Africa in 2008, said that Rwanda never set out to commit genocide against the Hutu, but that war crimes were committed.
«Civilians died, politicians died,» Karegeya said earlier this month before Rwanda’s presidential election. «They died in the Congo, they died in other places.»