«Arctic Sea» fraktet russiske missiler og addressaten var trolig Syria eller Iran, men de som stanset skipet og tok hånd om missilene var ikke Mossad, men russiske agenter. Missilene var solgt uten Kremls viten og vilje, og da Moskva fikk vite om lasten skred de til aksjon for ikke å bli kompromittert.

For fire år siden underskrev Moskva en avtale med USA og Israel om ikke å forsyne Syria og Iran med strategiske våpen. Rakettene ville vært et brudd på denne avtalen.

The investigation has revealed that the ship first set sail not from Finland, but rather from the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad. Located on the Baltic shore, the area has been historically considered a closed military zone.

The Kaliningrad port, manned by the Russian navy, holds missile batteries which include S-300 anti-aircraft weapons. The Kremlin has declared the city a free trade zone but it is considered to be ruled and operated by unions of former soviet security forces, and a hotbed of illegal trade that includes various types of weapons.

Sources say the Arctic Sea docked in Kaliningrad in June to undergo various repairs. The same sources say a deal was previously struck between Russian and Middle Eastern businessmen, agreeing on the sale of some of the S-300 missiles located at the port.

Some sources claim the Russian military’s weapons industry was implicated in the deal and transferred a number of new missiles, including the X-500, to the port to be included in the sale. However the Kremlin was uninvolved, and apparently the deal was carried out in secret between businessmen from the private sector.

An anonymous tip

After the deal was executed, an intelligence agency whose identity so far remains unexposed learned of the ship’s departure with the weapons in tow towards Algeria, a country located on a regularly used route for the transfer of weapons to Iran and Syria.

The intelligence agency then transferred an anonymous tip to the Russian authorities, according to the investigation.

Then, two days after the Arctic Sea sailed from a Finnish port where it apparently picked up timber in order to cover up the missiles, a motorboat carrying eight people drew up to the ship and asked to board due to having been lost at sea.

The eight then identified themselves as Swedish police and arrested the crew under gunpoint. The Russian sailors serving on the Arctic Sea said the officers spoke Russian between themselves.

Report: Russia hijacked its own ship