Nytt

Vestlig etterretning konstaterte at Toulouse-terroristen Mohamed Merha hadde kontakt med Taliban og al Qaida i Nord-Waziristan høsten 2011, men informasjonen nådde ikke frem eller ble liggende på fransk side.

Først etter drapene på syv mennesker ble fransk sikkerhetspoliti klar over hans kontakter.

På toppen av det hele hadde fransk etterrening et avhør med Merah etter at han vendte tilbake til Frankrike, men man trodde på forsikringene om at han hadde vært på turistreise.

Det er to journalister som har funnet ut dette. De kommer med en bok 14. juni.

The Merah Case: the Investigation» by journalists Eric Pelletier and Jean-Marie Pontaut, due out on June 14, says «Western intelligence services» established a link between Merah and «an organisation close to al-Qaeda».

It claims the spy services had detected the activation of «two internet addresses» linked to Merah in September 2011 in Miranshah, the capital of Pakistan’s Taliban and al-Qaeda stronghold of North Waziristan.

It adds that they established Merah was using a telephone number at the time known to be used to contact an extremist group.

The journalists wrote that France’s DCRI domestic intelligence service «recognises» having received the information from «friendly» spy agencies, but only «several days after» Merah’s killings in southern France.

Merah’s killing spree sparked a deluge of criticism at home and abroad over how France’s intelligence services failed to trail him more closely given that they had singled him out as an extremist and that he was on a US «no-fly» list.

France’s new Interior Minister Manuel Valls this week said that he had asked the DCRI and national police for a report on «what was dysfunctional» in the Merah case.
«The state didn’t know how or was unable to protect the French,» he said.

A French intelligence agent quizzed Merah in November 2011 upon his return to France from Pakistan, but apparently believed his claims that he had been in the region as a tourist when he produced travel photos.

The families of his victims were due to meet on Tuesday with judges for the latest details on the murder investigation and possible compensation.

Merah’s older brother Abdelkader is currently remanded in custody facing charges of complicity to murder.

Nye antisemittiske angrep.

Man skulle tror drapet på en rabbiner og tre jødiske barn ville avholdt mennesker fra å angripe jøder, men så er ikke tilfelle.

Despite horror at the killings, there has been a «considerable rise» in the number of anti-Semitic attacks in France in the weeks after the Merah murders, according to Richard Prasquier, head of the national Jewish council CRIF.
On Monday, three Jewish men aged 18, 23 and 24 wearing skullcaps were hospitalised after being a attacked with a hammer and iron bars by a group of men of North-African origin. Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault condemned them as «very serious».

Toulouse killer Mohamed Merah was ‘traced’ to al-Qaeda stronghold