Det muslimske Brorskapet har tatt et langt skritt i retning av en konfronterende, krigersk linje mot USA og Israel, ikke ulikt den krigserklæringen Osama bin Laden kom med i 1996. Forskjellen er at Brorskapet er langt mer innflytelsesrik.
Brorskapet har tradisjonelt forsøkt å gripe makten innenfra, ikke ved åpen vold. Men i den nye veiledningen som den øverste lærde, Mohammad Badi, kom med, er det jihad som er veien muslimer skal følge. Brorskapet står sterkt også i Europa. Oppfordringen betyr ikke umiddelbar terror, men det signaliserer fiendskap og konfrontasjon, og er dårlig nytt for Vesten og integreringsarbeidet.
The Brotherhood is the group that often dominates Muslim communities and runs mosques in the West. Its front groups are often courted by Western governments and media.
Yet here is the Brotherhood’s new supreme guide, Muhammad Badi giving a sermon entitled, “How Islam Confronts the Oppression and Tyranny,” translated by MEMRI in which he says:
• Arab and Muslim regimes betray their people unless they confront not only Israel but also the US. Waging jihad against both is mandatory for all Muslims. Otherwise, “They are disregarding Allah’s commandment to wage jihad… so that Allah’s word will reign supreme” over all non-Muslims.
• All Muslims are required by their religion to fight as their highest priority, since “the improvement and change that the [Muslim] nation seeks can only be attained through jihad and sacrifice, and by raising a jihadi generation that pursues death just as its enemies pursue life.”
• The US is easy to defeat through violence, since it is “experiencing the beginning of its end and is heading toward its demise.”
• Palestinians should back Hamas in overthrowing the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and unite in waging war on Israel.
• Rational calculations applied by the West to adversaries, assuming Muslims won’t act in a revolutionary and even suicidal manner, want a better future for their children, etc., don’t apply to the Islamist movement: “Allah said: ‘The hosts will all be routed and will turn and flee’ (Koran 54:45). This verse is a promise to the believers that they shall defeat their enemies… and that through Allah you shall triumph… The outcome of the confrontation has been predetermined by Allah.”
Thus, it doesn’t matter how long the battle lasts or its cost in destruction and death, you should go on fighting.
IN THE real world, Islamists are unlikely to win over, say, 50 or 100 years. But those views mean these 50 or 100 years are going to be filled with instability and bloodshed. Muslims don’t have to agree with Badi’s views, yet hundreds of thousands will, and millions will cheer them.
There’s even more food for thought in Badi’s speech.
“Resistance is the only solution… The United States cannot impose an agreement upon the Palestinians, despite all the power at its disposal. [Today] it is withdrawing from Iraq, defeated and wounded, and is also on the verge of withdrawing from Afghanistan” because it has been defeated by Islamist warriors.
First, US efforts that seem to be succeeding at brokering Israel-Palestinian peace would only spark more violence, not less, as Islamists seek to defeat them. Desirable as peace or even progress toward peace might be, the West should have no illusions about those things providing regional stability; they will produce more instability.
Second, US apologies, concessions and withdrawals are interpreted by Islamists and many in the Middle East as signs of weakness, which spark further aggression and violence.
I realiteten sier Badi at dialog og forståelse er forkastelig. Muslimene skal kjempe for å vinne. Løsningen er krig, om det så skal ta hundre år.
Det betyr at alle innrømmelser tas som tegn på svakhet.
Brorskapet har en vanskeligere rolle i egyptisk politikk. Man må manøvrere i det politiske landskapet i hjemlandet, for offisielt er det forbudt som parti. Opposisjonen vil at Brorskapet skal delta i en boikott, for de tror ikke på et rettferdig valg, men Brorskapet har bestemt seg for å stille kandidater ved valget i november gjennom andre partier.
Brorskapet fikk 20 prosent ved forrige valg, en styrkedemonstrasjon av et parti som ikke fikk stille offisielt.
Barry Rubin tror den nye linjen vil få konsekvenser både for Midtøsten og Vesten. Vi er i en situasjon hvor politiske vedtak i Midtøsten får konsekvenser for vårt eget kontinent.
This new hard line signals:
1. Increased internal conflict in Egypt, the start of a decade-long struggle for power in the Arabic-speaking world’s most important country.
2. The likelihood that more Brotherhood supporters in the West will turn to violence and fund-raising for terrorism.
3. The true nature of the radical indoctrination – preparing people for future extremism and terrorism – in the mosques and groups they control.
4. A probable upturn in anti-American terrorist attacks in the Middle East and Europe.
In August 1996, al-Qaida declared war on America, the West, Christians and Jews. Nobody important paid much attention. Almost exactly five years later, September 11 forced them to notice. Let it be said that in September 2010 the Muslim Brotherhood, a group with 100 times more activists than al-Qaida, issued its declaration of war. What remains is the history of the future.
The Region: The declaration of war that went unnoticed
By BARRY RUBIN
The Muslim Brotherhood recently called for jihad on the US and Israel, adopting a view almost identical to al-Qaida’s.