Den amerikanske og FN-ledete observatørstyrken i Sinai er omringet av IS-krigere. Nylig ble fire amerikanere skadet av en veibombe.DailyBeast.

Pentagon sender flere soldater og mer utstyr til basen som består av 1.600 soldater, hvorav 600 amerikanere.

Men det er ikke sikkert de blir værende. Det kan være de trekkes ut.

U.S. officials are wary of stationing troops at a base that over the last year has increasingly been surrounded by ISIS troops. Forces loyal to ISIS have pushed residents out of towns near the camp, making it all by impossible for everyday Egyptians to come near that area, even if they are from there. Many cannot get past the northern Egyptian town of Arish, about a 90-minute drive from the border.

At IS er ved å skaffe seg kontroll i Sinai er dramatiske nyheter. Hvis FN/USA skulle trekke seg ut av den gamle israelske flybasen som ligger et stenkast fra den israelske grensen, sier det seg selv at IS vil angripe Israel.

Hvilken virkning vil det ha for forholdet mellom USA og Israel?

The troops were conducting supply and recovery convoys when they were attacked September 4, the peacekeeping organization, known as the Multinational Force and Observers, said in a statement. The troops were transported to Israel for medical care.

“Even in the U.S. government, there is a debate whether troops are being harassed or targeted for something more severe,” said Eric Trager, an expert in Egyptian politics at the Washington Institute for Near East Studies, a U.S. research center. “Is ISIS trying to harass or kill U.S. personnel? Certainly the latest attack, in which six MFO personnel were injured, suggests that the latter is possible.”

ANNONSE

Å storme en base med 600 amerikanske soldater vil være et ønskemål for IS. Da vil IS kunne ydmyke USA på det grusomste. En slik eventualitet vil Pentagon unngå for enhver pris, men hvis det betyr å trekke seg ut kan det være å svikte en av USAs største diplomatiske triumfer: Fredsavtalen mellom Israel og Egypt i 1979.

Første trekk er å styrke tilstedeværelsen.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter reportedly signed the order for the reinforcements and the defensive measures just hours before two improvised explosives injured four U.S. and two Fijian troops serving in the peacekeepers’ “North Camp,” two defense officials told The Daily Beast. That suggests that Pentagon higher-ups had concerns about the security of international forces even before the latest attack. Of the 1,600 troops at the old Israeli airport that sits just yards from the Israeli border, roughly 600 are Americans.

Defense officials also are exploring alternative means to keep the peace in Sinai, including depending more on drones, moving them to another part of the peninsula, and withdrawing U.S. troops. But officials stressed that no decision had been made.

 

 

ANNONSE
Liker du det du leser? Vipps noen kroner til Document på 13629