De tre terror-arresterte med Al Qaida-tilknytning i Tyskland ønsket å skade flest mulig mennesker. Målet kan ha vært Melodi Grand Prix-finalen i Düsseldorf i mai.
Gruppen eksperimenterte med splint-bomber, opplyste tysk politi lørdag morgen.
Alle tre hadde tilknytning til Tyskland. Lederen, en 29 år gammel marokkaner, sto i stadig kontakt med en al Qaida-kilde på den paksistansk-afghanske grensen.
Den andre, en mann på 31, var også marokkaner, mens den tredje var fra Iran.
Speaking at a press conference on Saturday morning, Rainer Griesbaum, deputy federal prosecutor, said although the group had been planning to set the bomb off in a big group of people, no specific target had been chosen.
They were, “still in the experimental phase,” he said.
Griesbaum said one of the three men arrested – named only as Abdeladim K. – had received the order to plan an attack in Germany from an important member of al-Qaida last year.
The 29-year-old from Morocco, is said to have been in regular contact with the al-Qaida man who is in the Afghan-Pakistan border region.
Griesbaum identified the other two men arrested as 31-year-old Jamil S., a German-Moroccan, and 19-yaer-old Amid C., a German-Iranian.
He said it would seem possible that they were considering attacking some big event in the Düsseldorf area, such as the Eurovision Song Contest which is to be held there on May