Ni menn er dømt i Bradford Crown Court for voldtekter og tvangsprostitusjon av to britiske jenter som bodde på barnehjem. De to jentene var 14 år da overgrepene startet i 2008.
De ni dømte er: Basharat Khaliq, Saeed Akhtar, Naveed Akhtar, Parvaze Ahmed, Zeeshan Ali, Fahim Iqbal, Izar Hussain, Mohammed Usman og Kieran Harris.
Et av ofrene er Fiona Goddard som nå er blitt 25 år gammel. Hun valgte å stå frem med sin historie etter at hun så en rapport om sex-grooming og overgrep av hundrevis av unge britiske jenter i Rotherham på BBC. Hun ba sin daværende partner om å kontakte BBC for å fortelle at lignende overgrep også skjer andre steder. BBC kontaktet i sin tur politiet. Utenfor rettsalen fortalte Fiona Goddard til BBC at disse mennene hadde påvirket alle aspekter ved livet henne så langt tilbake som hun kunne huske.
«These men have influenced every aspect of my life, for as long as I can remember. Today, I got to stand in front of them and take that control back and know that they are never going to impact my life again.»
Dommeren sa til rettsalen at Fiona hadde utvist stort mot. Og han la til at ingen av de større byene i England og Wales hadde unnsluppet dette problemet med grooming.
«Your primary victim sits in court and that lady has shown the utmost courage. No doubt for years she felt she had no voice and that she was powerless – well she’s got a voice now. No major city in England and Wales seems to have been spared this problem of grooming by older men acting together or alone.»
Bare i byen Rotherham er 420 menn under etterforskning for sex-grooming. Det bor bare litt over 100.000 mennesker i Rotherham, en by mindre enn Stavanger.
Fiona Goddard – en modig jente som ikke vil la overgriperne ødelegge fremtiden hennes.
Voldtektsmennene fikk lange fengselsstraffer. To av dem fikk 20 år.
- Basharat Khaliq, 38, of Deanwood Crescent, Bradford, was found guilty of five counts of rape and one count of assault by penetration and jailed for 20 years
- Saeed Akhtar, 55, of Back Girlington Road, Bradford, was convicted of two counts of inciting child prostitution and one count of rape and jailed for 20 years
- Naveed Akhtar, 43, of Newport Place, Bradford, was found guilty of two counts of rape and cleared of one count of rape. He was jailed for 17 years
- Parvaze Ahmed 36, of Farcliffe Road, Bradford, was convicted of three counts of rape and jailed for 17 years
- Izar Hussain, 32, of St Leonard’s Road, Bradford, was found guilty of one count of rape, one count of attempted rape and cleared of two counts of rape. He was jailed for 16 years
- Zeeshan Ali, 32, of Durham Terrace, Bradford, was convicted of one count of sexual assault and jailed for 18 months
- Kieran Harris, 28, of Fir Parade, Dewsbury, was found guilty of two counts of rape and jailed for 17 years
- Faheem Iqbal, 27, of no fixed abode, was convicted of one count of aiding and abetting rape and jailed for seven years
- Mohammed Usman, 31, of Quaker Street, Bradford, was found guilty of two counts of rape and jailed for 17 years
- Yasar Majid, 37, of Milton Keynes, was cleared of rape