Nytt

Nusra-fronten er ved å skyve ut Den frie syriske hær i det sørlige Syria. Den har bedre våpen og mer penger.

Flere melder overgang fra Den frie syriske hær til Nusra, som kjemper for et islamistisk Syria.

USA hadde for et halvt år siden planer om å trene og forsyne Den frie syriske hær, fra leire i Jordan.

Det finnes også et hovedkvarter som jordanere og amerikanerne driver i samarbeid.

Men planen om trening og våpenleveranser er ikke blitt til noe. Obama-administrasjonen har trukket seg. Den vil ikke bli involvert i Syria, selv ikke på avstand.

Prisen kan bli høy. Ingen forventer at USA skal sende egne styrker, men at USA lar Den frie syriske hær i stikken og lar den bli rent over ende av jihadistene, vil ikke bli glemt så lett.

Siste ord er heller ikke sagt. Også i Jordan gjærer det. Hjelpeorganisasjonene kan ikke hjelpe syriske flyktninger på bekostning av jordanske fattige. Syrerne er så mange at det fører til spenninger både i Libanon og Jordan.

Ett land har stilt opp: Israel følger ikke bare med, men griper mer aktivt inn i krigen. Israel ønsker ikke jihadister på dørterskelen.

Ett av anklagepunktene Nusra anfører mot Den frie syriske hær er at den ikke er tilstrekkelig fiendtlig mot Israel. Det er ikke rart for sårede opprørere behandles på israelske sykehus. De møter stengte dører i mange arabiske land. Dette gjør inntrykk. Befolkningen i Daraa har endret syn på Israel.

En talsmann for Den frie syriske hær, FSA, Abu Omar al-Hourani, sier til The Times of Israel:

A senior Israeli intelligence source told the Associated Press in January that Israel wasreassessing its neutrality toward the civil war in Syria for fear of a possible spillover of jihadist fighters from Syria into Israel.

Hourani said that two men from his unit, badly injured in fighting, were treated in Israel. The health care provided by Israel has caused the people of Daraa to regard Israel as a “friendly country,” irrespective of past wars between Israel and Syria.

“Israel’s treatment is different from that of other countries,” he said. “Even Arab countries prevent the entry of Syrians. Inside Syria people are dying of hunger, and outside they’re dying of humiliation.”

Nusra er ikke like blodtørstige som ISIS/ISIL, men målet er det samme: et land styrt etter sharia.

Fronten har rykket frem ved Daraa, byen hvor opprøret mot Assad begynte.

The spokesman, who identified himself as Abu Omar Al-Hourani, said in a phone interview from Daraa that Al-Nusra’s higher salaries and high-quality weapons have spurred many local FSA soldiers to break ranks and join the Islamist group. He estimated that 80 percent of Al-Nusra’s fighting force in Daraa was currently composed of Syrians, and the other 20 percent of foreign fighters.

“Daraa is partially controlled by Al-Nusra Front and affiliated groups, but it could fall entirely to their hands,” he said. “They receive huge external support, but we haven’t managed to figure out from where.”

..

Al-Nusra has managed to obtain superior weapons from international black markets, including 23 millimeter anti-aircraft guns, Soviet Grad missiles, and SA-7 surface to air missiles. It has also managed to capture tanks from the Assad regime, he noted.

“Today you can even buy weapons from Syrian Assad officers and get whatever you want,” he said. “They don’t care who buys, all they care about is making money.”

Syria’s porous border with Iraq has also allowed for the flow of weapons into Islamist hands.

In addition to its military power, Al-Nusra is engaged in civilian projects such as sanitation, road paving, and medical rescue.

Blant FSA er det stor skuffelse over at Vesten ikke har kommet dem til unnsetning, spesielt retter skuffelsen seg mot USA.

Hourani said that during meetings held in Jordan with Western and Arab states supporting the rebels, his forces have repeatedly requested anti-aircraft and anti-tank weapons. But fearing these weapons would fall to the hands of extremist fighters, donor states refuse to supply them. The FSA suggested that the West track the weapons using GPS systems, or even send in Western teams to fire advanced American Stinger anti-aircraft missiles at regime airplanes under FSA guard, but to no avail.

“The [regime’s] explosive barrels are ravaging us,” he pleaded.